Florida School for Boys at Okeechobee
In 1955 a bill was passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor
which authorized the establishment of the Florida School for Boys at
Groundbreaking ceremonies took place December 1, 1957 with Gov.
Leroy Collins, State Sen. Irlo Bronson, State Representative Nathan
Zelmenovitz, and other dignitaries in attendance.
The Boys' School opened in July 1959 and was formally dedicated on
May 7, 1960. The individual primarily responsible for obtaining the
Boys' School was Nathan Zelmenovitz, who represented Okeechobee
County in the Legislature during the 1953, 1955, and 1957 sessions.